Wednesday, August 22, 2007

self proclaimed diva?!

Came across a name that made waves through the Filipino bloggers recently.

A self proclaimed diva named Malu Fernandez.

here's an excerpt from an article she wrote for People Asia Magazine.

However I forgot that the hub was in Dubai and the majority of the OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) were stationed there. The duty-free shop was overrun with Filipino workers selling cell phones and perfume. Meanwhile, I wanted to slash my wrist at the thought of being trapped in a plane with all of them.

While I was on the plane (where the seats were so small I had bruises on my legs), my only consolation was the entertainment on the small flat screen in front of me. But it was busted, so I heaved a sigh, popped my sleeping pills and dozed off to the sounds of gum chewing and endless yelling of “HOY! Kumusta ka na? At taga san ka? Domestic helper ka rin ba?” Translation: “Hey there? Where are you from? Are you a domestic helper as well?” I though I had died and God had sent me to my very own private hell.

On my way back, I had to bravely take the economy flight once more. This time I had already resigned myself to being trapped like a sardine in a sardine can with all these OFWs smelling of AXE and Charlie cologne while Jo Malone evaporated into thin air.



I am an OFW myself and it really hurts to be put down much less by a fellow Filipino.
I actually am preventing myself from commenting but I just couldn't help it.

Sure she has her rights as a journalist. I am not taking it from her. What it didn't seem right was to belittle us OFWs (or Filipinos below her socioeconomic status). It was never right to discriminate. There is no excuse for bigotry.

Whats wrong with using cheap perfumes? Whats wrong with greeting your kababayan with glee and joy on a plane? DAMMIT... WHAT?!?!

I read books thicker than a magazine but for the life of me, I still cannot appreciate her so-called acerbic wit.

Philippines is a third world country. people struggle to have a meal at least 3 times a day.. and some members of the family go abroad to support those who remain here. sacrificing everything, being far away from their loved ones so they could have a decent life.

Reality is, There is nothing FUCKING FUNNY ABOUT THAT!


No comments: